blogad1

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Service and Sacrifice

If you’re as old as I am, you might remember the typing practice phrase of, “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.”  President John F. Kennedy is famous for saying, “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.”  Both of these sentiments provoke a sense of service and sacrifice.  But the best of all comments relative to service comes from our Lord and Savior,” Come ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was hungry and you gave me meat: I was thirsty and you gave me drink: I was a stranger and you took me in: naked and you clothed me: I was sick and you visited me: I was in prison and you came to me.”  Then the righteous asked the Lord, “When did we see you hungry and fed you, or thirsty and gave you drink, a stranger and took you in, naked and clothed you, or when did we see you sick, or in prison and came to you?  The Lord answered them saying, “Verily, I say to you, inasmuch as you have done unto the least of my brethren, you have done it unto me[1].”

As Christians, we are to lose ourselves in the service of others.  Perhaps the reason congregation numbers are dwindling across the nation is that we are not doing our part in providing service to our neighbors, loving them, and then inviting them to attend Sabbath services with us.  Each of us should take inventory of our level of commitment in service to our Lord by serving our fellow man.     

Jesus Christ spent his entire life in the service of others, he did this for a least two reasons.  One, He is our example of how we are to treat others; and two, serving others adds to our own joy and happiness.  A true disciple of Jesus Christ will always be ready to bear the burdens of others.  Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office of a disciple of Christ: build up those that are weak, lift up the hands of which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees of all those you come in contact.  And if you should do this all the days of your life, you shall be crowned in immortality and eternal life in our Father’s mansion.




[1] Matthew 25:34-40

No comments:

Post a Comment